Forum - Social and General Chat - Manta 19 dimensions

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Manta 19 dimensions 4Wed 20 Feb 2019 19:48:17
mhsorens mhsorens Sat 16 Feb 2019 12:50:50 On the statistics page of this forum, the boat dimensions are listed as 5,66 x 2.07 meters. This in fact closely matches measurements on my Austrian-built 1973 Manta 19 #205.

However, on most other sites and adverts, boat dimensions are cited as merely 5.60 x 2.00. Only a few inches off, but I recently had to pass on an offered 2 meter wide berth in a local harbour, as my boat would never ever fit between the pile moorings.

Any idea, why the "5.60 x 2.00" has become the common "truth"?

(I also try to get opinions from German language owners: https://www.segeln-forum.de/board20-vorstellungen/board21-boote/32454-sch%C3%B6chl-manta-19/index3.html#post2001494)

Replies

Mark Mark Mon 18 Feb 2019 14:58:05 I came across this website - SailboatData.com ( https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/manta-19) which shows the dimensions 5.60 x 2.00. Perhaps it is the source of the incorrect measurements?

The page has buttons to allow the choice of units imperial/metric or both. However, whatever the units, the dimensions shown are different to the dimensions shown on the Manta 19 brochure from Blakes Marine.
mhsorens mhsorens Tue 19 Feb 2019 21:03:42 Hi Mark,

Among some mouldy owner's papers that came with my boat, I have found a Danish language sales sheet from the Scandinavian import company exhibiting the exact same basic dimensions as seen at sailboatdata.com ... along with a ridiculously low displacement of 500 kg. Maybe Sportsbootwerft Joh. Schöchl & Söhne OHG itself is the source back in the 70'ies, although it is hard to understand why they would choose to underdeclare the design?
Mark Mark Wed 20 Feb 2019 08:36:34 That displacement figure of 500kg is interesting. Manta 19's have 0.52 cubic meters of foam buoyancy which, if my calculations are right, equates to about 520kg of buoyancy (depending on the density if the water) - but since Manta 19's displace 680kg then the buoyancy isn't going to keep it afloat - probably explains why they are known to sink!

So perhaps you are right, maybe the manufacturers did their sums wrong! - which might not be so surprising given that they probably only had slide rules and not modern day calculators or computers.

I noticed from the Blakes brochure that the ballast weight is 185kg which if subtracted from the total displacement of 680kg leaves 495kg. So maybe they forgot to allow for the ballast when calculating the foam buoyancy. All speculation of course....
mhsorens mhsorens Wed 20 Feb 2019 19:48:17 Oh my! If you're correct, I think I will err to the side of caution and add an extra few hundred kilos worth of buoyancy. Those lockers are huge anyway.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept