Forum - Windows - Replacement windows required for Manta 19

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Replacement windows required for Manta 19 11Thu 08 Sep 2011 13:59:25
nigel banks nigel banks Sat 04 Dec 2010 19:13:46 I have just purchased a Manta 19 which has had the windows replaced with plastic at some time. I wish to replace the plastic with glass and wondered if anyone out there has a template which I could buy off them, this would enable me to have them cut allowing me to get her back to original good looks. The boat is "Kracker" which is on Coniston . Many Thanks Nigel Banks

Replies

Mark Mark Thu 09 Dec 2010 12:28:23 Hi Nigel,

I don't have a template but as a suggestion (hope I'm not stating the obvious), you could take a window out, stick a bit of paper over the hole, then from the inside, draw around the hole on the paper using a felt tip. You'll need to allow a few mm for the thickness of the rubber seal.

BTW, I think Manta windows were made out of perspex (mine were 5mm thick) which allows them to bend slightly to match the slight curve of the deck hole that they fit into. I'm not sure how well a flat piece of glass will fit. You might want to check it with a straight edge to see.
nigel banks nigel banks Sat 11 Dec 2010 15:01:01 Thanks Mark, The method you describe is the way I anticipated tackling the job in hand , although the thickness of the perspex of 5mm is helpful . I do not have much knowledge of window seals etc and wondered if there was a particular profile of seal which should be used ? perhaps you could advise.
Nigel
Mark Mark Sun 12 Dec 2010 19:43:38 The rubber seals have an 'H' shaped cross-section. On Sophie, the hull was 9mm thick and the windows were 5mm thick therefore, on Sophie, the cross section of the 'H' I used 9mm slot on one side and 5 mm on the other (hope this make sense). I'm not quite sure exactly how thick the horizontal bit of the 'H' section was but it was about 4mm thick.

I also got a special tool for getting fitting the windows into the rubber seal. for details, see the 'windows' thread a little bit further down on the Message Index page.
Col Col Wed 15 Dec 2010 17:52:52 Hi, I replaced the windows recently with perspex. I don't think glass would work as fitting the windows needs a lot of bending.

The seals are of the type on this page

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=4

I think WR67 but check the measurements, it is better to be a bit tight. You get the seal and a filler strip, pushing in the filler strip locks the seal in place. In my case they didn't seal completely, especially at the corners so I backed up the seal with silicone sealant all round.
Mekicevica Mekicevica Thu 16 Dec 2010 11:10:00 Hi, Nigel.
Congratulations on the purchase of Kracker. What is her sail number?
The windows of small boats are always plastic (perspex or polycarbonate). Glass is heavy and too rigid. While sailing, boats bend and twist a tiny bit and glass windows would probably shatter. They could also cause nasty accidents if someone fell on them, for example going to the foredeck in a bit of sea.
Luis
nigel banks nigel banks Fri 31 Dec 2010 23:18:11 Hi , Thanks for the responses re replacement windows, I have now completed the task , a good wash and polish and she is ready for the coming season . All the best to you all. Nigel
MarkD MarkD Sat 05 Mar 2011 12:51:02 Hello Nigel,
I too have just joined the Manta fleet, and will be sailing on Coniston Water. Will you be keeping Kracker there? - I saw her at the Boating Centre last year.
My Manta (Woody Woodster - 1019) used to be on Windermere and also needs the windows and seals sorting but has a new keel.
Looking forward to getting out on the water very soon.
Cheers, Mark
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Fri 27 May 2011 22:48:27 This company did ours today 27/05.11 :

The Autoglaziers 01132 266 1330

www.theautoglaziers.co.uk

They came to our house and fitted the seals & filler in under two hours.

Total price including VAT & free swearing was £188.64

Having watched these burly guys heaving and pushing the windows in, there is no way me & the wife could have fitted them ourselves.

They carry a range of implements that would make Captain Hook jealous!

They are part of a national chain and will come out anywhere ...
merryn merryn Thu 08 Sep 2011 12:03:23 Hello, I am the owner of Merryn a manta 19 which needs the windows replacing, I have read all the previous messages about the process on here and the old message board and am going to give it a go. I am hovering over the order button on this site
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=4#27
to purchase the rubber seal ?H? section ref WR70 and want to check that it is the correct size as it seems the closest match I can find.
The bottom part of the ?H? is 10mm which would fit over the boat aperture which I think is 9mm, I will bed on silicone.
The top part of the ?H?section is 6mm which according to the website is correct for 5mm thick acrylic .
The centre of the ?H?is 8mm thick , so if I draw around the window aperture to create a template I would need to the reduce this by 8mm all round.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Regards
Brian
MarkD MarkD Thu 08 Sep 2011 12:40:34 Hello Brian.
I used Seals Direct in March to replace Woody's windows and would happily recommend them.
I made a template by drawing around the old window I took out, rather than trying to draw up against the hole (so I took a risk that the window was a good fit!).
I bought 6m of WR69, with the 10mm and 5mm gaps. I think the comment in their brochure about sealing 1mm smaller is if you can't find an exact match - but give them a ring. They were very helpful to talk to.
It's a fiddly job, but well worth it.
Cheers, Mark
merryn merryn Thu 08 Sep 2011 13:59:25 Thanks Mark, I will order the WR69 seal (nice and tight), I have noticed a huge price difference in the price of acrylic sheet online and have plumped for 'the plastics people' seem about half the price of others. Not sure if acrylic sheet has different qualities or not.
cheers
Brian
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept