Forum - Keel and Centre Plate - Centre Plate Lifting Chain

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Centre Plate Lifting Chain 5Sun 04 Sep 2011 18:19:13
Lisboa1967 Lisboa1967 Sun 14 Aug 2011 22:57:07 Hi. When attempting to lift the centre plate chain today it appeared to be jammed. Only have had the boat for a few weeks and on my previous 2 trips there was no problem lifting the centre plate. It has never been fully lowered as I had a shackle inserted in the chain to always make sure 3 links were showing above the cockpit plate.

Any tips please on releasing it.

Cheers
Al

Replies

Mekicevica Mekicevica Tue 16 Aug 2011 18:13:06 My method:
Yank it hard!
But if the chain breaks than you have to lift the boat out of water to repair the chain.

Have you tried pushing it down first with a rod trough the chain hole?
My flag pole was chosen so that it fits the hole.

Luis
Lisboa1967 Lisboa1967 Fri 26 Aug 2011 22:18:15 Hi. I have the same problem as Ian & Julie .ie. " chain just snapped off and we were left holding the chain which also had a length of steel cord attached to it with a broken, rusty bit of metal on the end".

I can hear the plate banging off the underside, whilst on its mooring so I need to get it fixed. My neighbour a diver and has offered to explore but do you think it could be repaired on the mooring or does it need lifted out. Also how is it reattached to the chain and is their a suitable hole on the centre plate for say a shackle. Will it be straight forward or is their a technique to it. Thanks. Al
Mekicevica Mekicevica Mon 29 Aug 2011 13:05:59 Hi, Al.
The only difficulty is that the slot is a bit narrow.
I have used two methods so far:
1. used a shackle and, after making it really tight with pliers filed-off the protruding bits, so it could fit in the slot. This lasted a couple of months until it dropped again.
2. used a small "quick-link" and made it really tight. Still OK after six weeks.
Hope this helps
Luis
Centre Plate Lifting Chain
Lisboa1967 Lisboa1967 Mon 29 Aug 2011 22:07:43 Hi Luis.

Thanks for your advice. I have ordered some quick links. Didn't know of such a link but it was what was in my mind.

Hopefully it will work.

Cheers
Al
Lisboa1967 Lisboa1967 Sun 04 Sep 2011 18:19:13 Had a diver under the boat this morning. Only managed a temporary repair as their was no lug attached to the keel. From the fresh paint marks you could see that the previous owner never had the keel in the highest position due the extended portion of the keel below the centre plate. This was on the wrong side of the hull and it was a small rivet that had been attached to the keel and the lifting chain. A proper botched job. Season over for me but at least i can get it back on the trailer and out of the water for a permanent repair. Either weld a new lug or drill a hole to the keel to allow a secure connection to the lifting chain. I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks. Allan
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept