Forum - Mast and Rigging - Manta with replacement mast

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Manta with replacement mast 6Wed 02 Oct 2013 10:02:28
scroggins scroggins Fri 27 Sep 2013 09:21:27 Hello,

An acquaintance of mine is selling a Manta 19 for roughly £2,900. The boat appears to be in decent condition apart from the fact that it has been fitted with an unoriginal mast, composed of steel. Obviously, this mast would be a bit heavier than the original aluminium.

How would this affect the performance of the boat? Is is still worth considering, or should I steer clear altogether?

Please bear in mind that I live in the Middle East and there aren't many sailboats - let alone Mantas - around for sale.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

Mark Mark Fri 27 Sep 2013 15:34:33 Hi,

I don't know the answer but here are my thoughts:

If the mast is roughly the same size as the original then I doubt that it would make any noticeable difference to the sailing performance. However, if it is a lot heavier then I would think that it could make a noticeable difference to the stability. According to my bathroom scales (accuracy unknown smile) my mast without the standing rigging weighs just under 10 kgs. If the steel one was, say, twice as heavy then this would be like adding a 10 kg weight to the middle of the mast. I don't know how much effect this would have of stability at high angles of heel but it would have some effect.

I suppose it depends on how much heavier the steel mast is compared to the original.

For the price I would expect it to be in very good condition and good sails especially if it doesn't have a trailer.
scroggins scroggins Sat 28 Sep 2013 11:50:52 Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

The sails appear to be in excellent condition, and a trailer is included. The hull also appears to be in solid shape, though it is in need of a paint job.

The seller thought the new mast added about 10kg - he guessed the old one was around 20kg, and the new one maybe 30kg. He claimed not to notice any difference in performance / stability, but admitted he's never been in very strong winds.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts; your help is much appreciated.
Mekicevica Mekicevica Sun 29 Sep 2013 22:00:35 Hi, Guys.
Here is my 2p of wisdom:
Why, oh why would you have a steel mast? The last place where you want to add weight is high up.
What knd of steel is it? Some types turn into mush at the sight of sea water, the others are so expensive that you could by a few boats for the price of one mast.
My message is be careful what you are buying, for me it seems strange.
Luis
Mekicevica Mekicevica Sun 29 Sep 2013 22:26:55 Or maybe I am wrong....
http://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2013/07/build-your-own-steel-masts/
cychwr cychwr Mon 30 Sep 2013 13:05:39 Seen this on ebay, www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sailing-yacht-/121185237822?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing_Boats_ET&hash=item1c3733fb3e
might give you an idea of current condition prices ect.
scroggins scroggins Wed 02 Oct 2013 10:02:28 Thanks for the very helpful replies. I'm still mulling it over, but at the very least I'll see if he can drop the price a bit - it's definitely a bit expensive for the condition that it's in.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept