Forum - Mast and Rigging - Plastimo 406S

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Plastimo 406S 6Tue 21 Jan 2014 11:35:51
jb jb Mon 30 Sep 2013 14:09:46 Hi all,

I'm planning to replace my current (broken) foresail reefing system with a Plastimo 406S set-up - I see there are a few Manta sailors with this system. I was wondering if any current users can advise me if I'll need a foil extension, and wether I'd be better opting for chainplate or turnbuckle fitting.

Thanks for your advice!

John

Replies

Mark Mark Sun 06 Oct 2013 10:24:31 I took a look at the 406S and it looks very similar (but lots newer smile ) than the one on my mast. Mine is the same set up as when I bought the the boat so I don't whether a turnbuckle fitting would be better. Here are a couple of close ups so you can see how mine is set up.

The fitting allows a large range of adjustment of the forestay wire - not that it needs regular adjustment but I suppose that with a turn buckle you would would have a much smaller range of adjustment.
Plastimo 406S
Mark Mark Sun 06 Oct 2013 10:25:07 And here's the top of the forestay.
Plastimo 406S
Mekicevica Mekicevica Sun 06 Oct 2013 21:56:00 I have played a bit with forestay attachements, so here are my words of wisdom. Not to be taken too seriously.
A turnbuckle on the forestay seems a good idea, as it would allow a fine tuning of forestay tension. In pratice it is not worth the trouble. Once you have got the length of the forestay right, chainplate is enough and the fine tuning of the tension is best done by adjusting the backstay.
I hope this makes some sense.
Luis
jb jb Mon 07 Oct 2013 00:23:04 Thanks for your responses, folks. My main concern re: the Plastimo system is the forestay length - I measured my forestay at about 6.6m; Plastimo advises the chainplate version suitable for a forestay of 6.35m, the turnbuckle version 6.45m - approximate sizes! I'm very reluctant to fork out another £80 (price of extention set) for an extra 15-20cm of foil if I don't need it, but in the end, I might just have to bite that bullet!

My "Plan A" was to just replace the damaged drum and lower bearings on the current reefer, as the foil itself appears to be more robust and better engineered than any reasonably priced replacement, but I haven't been able to source a suitable replacement. I've got 'til next March to finish it so I'm not in any rush! (Yet!)

John
Mark Mark Mon 07 Oct 2013 09:55:33 I see what you mean. I suppose that the main thing will be to make sure that luff length of your largest genoa is going to fit in to it.
jb jb Tue 21 Jan 2014 11:35:51 Just for information - my genoa has a luff length of 604 cm, the standard 406S foil can only accomodate a luff of up to 582 cm, so I would need the extention set, however I've managed to source a very reasonably priced 406 drum, with bearings and chainplate fitting, so now I'm planning to graft this onto my original rotostay foil. Plan B!

John
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept