Forum - Keel and Centre Plate - keel replacement fun begains

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
keel replacement fun begains 5Sat 06 Dec 2014 17:48:30
KevinEGAN KevinEGAN Mon 01 Dec 2014 00:31:57 Today i got a chance to have a look at my little sailboat my keel it looks bad
it looks like the drop keel has been up in side for the past 10
years or more and with very bad corrosion
its going to be a very big job to try and get it down from in side
dont know where to start any ideas on removing it would be great
sorry i will have pictures soon i hope to start a blog here

thanks kevin
galway

Replies

StuartH StuartH Mon 01 Dec 2014 10:50:28 Yes it will be fun!.
First of all you obviously need the boat raised up safely high enough to let the swing keel drop the 18 plus inches.
Get underneath and use a long flat file to knock off as much rust as you can on either side of the keel - by poking it up inside.
If you remove the stainless plate where the chain comes through you can get access with a longish rod to push down on top of the keel.
Hopefully eventually you will start to get some movement and from there I found its just a matter of time and effort and a lot of pushing and pulling and it will come out.
You will need to remove the pivot screw which on mine was a stainless allen screw, I would give that a good spray with release oil before you start.
Good luck
KevinEGAN KevinEGAN Mon 01 Dec 2014 11:08:47 Stuart thank you for your replay .. I say there is only around 18in for the back end keel that i can get some thing small into it after that the rust is so bad you would not get air into it its that bad i will tip way at it and see .well the chain is still connected to it so thats something i can follow it with your idea and a rod
i will get back to you
StuartH StuartH Mon 01 Dec 2014 13:09:12 Hopefully once some of the big lumps of rust fall off you will start to get some movement.
It might be worth trying to get the pivot bolt out first you may be able to lever something through the screw hole.
KevinEGAN KevinEGAN Mon 01 Dec 2014 22:52:41 quick one ..started the left hand side of the keel and got down to the metal but dont see a bolt
KevinEGAN KevinEGAN Sat 06 Dec 2014 17:48:30 Great news got the keel plate out today, going to have to make a new one for it in time thank to you all for you help ..on to the next job:)
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept