Forum - Keel and Centre Plate - Help: Sailing without lowered centreboard

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Help: Sailing without lowered centreboard 4Sun 28 Apr 2024 21:43:55
Opsimath Opsimath Thu 25 Apr 2024 09:45:27 I’ve just posted this on ‘For Sale’ board by mistake. Trying again…

Red Herring’s centreboard is again jammed in the raised position. Banging doesn’t release it. Reading many entries on this site (including from my boat’s previous owner) and the real challenges of raising the boat on shore to gain access I have this question:

How many of you Manta sailors give up on lowering the centreboard and sail purely with the keel box as a ‘keel’?

Replies

Opsimath Opsimath Thu 25 Apr 2024 13:21:55 For information in case others have the same issue I’ve managed to fix the problem. The lesson for others is that random hammering with a steel pole down on the keel through the chain hole is unlikely to work. All I achieved was jamming the pole between the centre board and the hull. So the brute force method was a total failure. I then tried and succeeded with more finesse after a night’s sleep as follows:

1) bought an endoscope for about £80 (see image)

2) fed the endoscope camera wire through a 1m aluminium tube (cost £3) that could fit through the 3/4” chain hole and that would allow the camera position to be exactly determined.

3) with the side camera turned on I was able to precisely identify the vertical drop from chain hole to shackle on centre board. And the tilt of the aluminium pipe told me the fore/aft position as well.

4) at this position I carefully marked the aluminium pipe at the point it emerged through the chain hole. I wrapped insulating tape around the aluminium at this point.

5) I had an old 1/2” steel rod from the garden and asked our local engineering shop to grind a ‘V’ in one end (Mackays here in Cambridge did it for nothing!) so that the rod would grip the top of the centreboard which would be out of view. I also transferred the marked length from aluminium tube to steel rod, again using insulating tape.

6) Finally, and very carefully, I lowered the rod through the chain hole to the exact depth and felt around cautiously to seat the V notch over what felt like the centreboard lug.

7) with one light tap the centreboard released. After removing the rod I repeatedly raised and lowered the centreboard on the chain and feel reasonably confident now that it’ll be fine for the season!

I hope this helps others facing a minor jam like mine. Enough to stop the CB dropping under its own weight but not entirely rusted in situ. £83 spent but considerably less than hiring a boatyard crane and less worry than the brave owner on this site who lifted his boat onto blocks to access from below.
Help: Sailing without lowered centreboard
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 28 Apr 2024 19:07:54 Well done, what an inspiration!we’ve yet to try ours but will bear in mind this sound advice of yours. Thanks 🙏
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 28 Apr 2024 19:09:35 There’s an added bonus haha - you’ll be able to see if your colon is clear !
Opsimath Opsimath Sun 28 Apr 2024 21:43:55 You’re right. You never know when an endoscope might come in handy!
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept