Forum - Maintenance - Centre Plate

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Centre Plate 2Fri 17 Aug 2012 15:09:34
garyg garyg Thu 16 Aug 2012 13:45:53 I'd appreciate comments regarding a centre plate which does not have a drilled pivot point but is hung on the keel securing bolt. This arrangement will significantly improve plate removal time, but I fear that it may also improve removal time when I don't want the plate removed.

Has any one come across this arrangemet and if so was it satisfactory.

Thanks

Gary

Replies

Mark Mark Thu 16 Aug 2012 17:13:10 Hi Gary, I've never come across this arrangement before so I am just guessing here.

I would think that it all depends on how the centre plate is hung.

If it is just resting on it's bottom edge on the bolt and the bottom edge is completely flat then it may be able to move backward and forwards which could (if your chain has a couple of extra links in like Sophie's does) make the back end of the plate fall below the stop in the back of the fixed part of the keel which would leave nothing to prevent the the front of the plate sliding off the bolt and dropping out completely. It would still be attached by the chain but would probably make recovery on to a trailer difficult - but if the chain attachment snaps (does happen) then you could lose the whole plate.

If it has a 'U' shaped slot in which is hung over the bolt then this would be better but if you were to run aground or hit an underwater obstacle then I suppose it could dislodge the plate off the bolt.
garyg garyg Fri 17 Aug 2012 15:09:34 Thanks Mark.
I think I'll be returning the arrangement to as designed. I would only be happy if the slot arrangement retained the plate even with the plate in (beyond) the vertical should the chain fail. I am sure that the trunk would not be big enough to manoeuvre the plate into position with anything more that a groove.
Regards
Gary
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept