Forum - Maintenance - Masthead halyard crane failure - Help and worth checking!

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Masthead halyard crane failure - Help and worth checking! 3Thu 09 Jan 2014 17:36:53
Geomellish Geomellish Tue 07 Jan 2014 15:36:36 Grizabella lost her mast over the side whilst on her mooring last autumn. Turns out the alloy mast end plug holding the stainless steel halyard blocks failed (after 35 years).

This caused various bits of damage, including snapping the spreaders. So two things: It might well be worth everyone to check this fitting on their ageing Manta; has anybody replaced it, or got any advice on this as I can't find anything similar?
Masthead halyard crane failure - Help and worth checking!

Replies

Geomellish Geomellish Tue 07 Jan 2014 15:38:41 And here is a photo of the broken part:

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.
Masthead halyard crane failure - Help and worth checking!
Mekicevica Mekicevica Wed 08 Jan 2014 09:36:22 Boy, that was a badly corroded piece!
Aluminium, even anodised, in contact with stainless-steel pins for 35 years is prone to that.
I replaced my mast last year, but unfortunately did not keep the fittings of the old one.
You will probably have to get custom-made parts, which will not be cheap. You may want to consider replacing the whole mast.
Luis
Smanta Smanta Thu 09 Jan 2014 17:36:53 If the rest of the mast and rigging is ok you could ask a small engineering company to price for a replacement or find a model engineer who would be willing to take it on.
You may be lucky it?s not a big job for someone with a lathe and a milling machine.
Good Luck Mart
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept