Forum - Maintenance - New Manta 19 owner

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
New Manta 19 owner 2Mon 07 Oct 2019 19:21:37
Juttebell Juttebell Mon 07 Oct 2019 06:12:32 Hello I am about to join the ranks of Manta 19 owners. I take possession of my Manta named Blue Ray on the 19 th of October. I am also new to sailing and plan to complete my competent crew training but will need lots more training too. Can you recommend jobs to do over the winter to prepare for getting her back in the water? She has a bit of rust and I was planning to remove treat and repaint. Also. Does anyone cover their Manta with a tarpaulin? If so can you tell me what size you would recommend ?

Replies

Mark Mark Mon 07 Oct 2019 10:40:57 Always good to get new owners on the site :D

The exterior woodwork is always something to pay attention to and a rubdown followed by a few coats of decent yacht varnish is always worth doing - thankfully Manta's don't have much exterior wood to look after.

If your ropes (sheets and halyards) are mucky then you could always put them in a stocking bag and through a cycle in the washing machine - not essential but it does make them look nice and less slippy. If you want to take the halyards out of the mast then tie a bit sting on the end and pull it though and tie it off so you can refit them.

If you are using a tarp to cover your manta then it would be a good idea to use something to form an apex over the cockpit to make the tarp form like the top ridge of a tent so that it won't sag and you don't end up with a 'pond' in the back. If you are going to take mast down then you can use that to throw the tarp over. As for tarp size, I don't have any measurements but I guess it would best to make sure it is big enough to cover from the back of the cockpit to at least the mast step then that will probably be OK a full length tarp would be better but the extra length will only be keeping the deck clean and they clean up easy with a jet washer.
Juttebell Juttebell Mon 07 Oct 2019 19:21:37 Thankyou so much. Can't wait to get started. This is a great site. The affection everyone on here has for their mantas confirmed to me that the manta was the right boat for me.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept