Forum - Social and General Chat - Capsize

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Capsize 5Sun 23 Dec 2018 19:12:26
Countrysailor Countrysailor Tue 18 Jun 2013 20:50:26 Hi All,
I am just in the process of purchasing a Manta. After a long search with many discounts, ie Sailfish ( no self draining cockpit ). Seahawk ( Very thin lay up ) etc finally settled on the Manta. Searching for any info I came across this article that may be of interest and I would like to read comments as to what may have happened. Has anyone else come close to this happening?
http://underwater-search-recovery.com/en/22_MA_History/22_MA_History.htm

Replies

Mark Mark Thu 20 Jun 2013 11:01:33 Yes, I had an email from the guy who did the recovery a few years ago and I put a link to his site on the links page.

It is the only case I've heard of a Manta sinking. They do have built in buoyancy under the forward V bunk and under part of the port and starboard bunks. I don't know if this is enough to maintain positive buoyancy in fresh water and/or salt water.

Anyway, my thoughts (purely speculation smile ):

I know that some owners have modified (removed part) of the buoyancy areas to fit batteries/ice boxes (see Harald Horak's pictures in the Other Mantas page - off the home page). It would be good to know if the sunken Manta had been tinkered with like this.

I did wonder how the water could have flooded the cabin so quickly. Manta's are fairly flat bottomed so I would expect that the 'point of vanishing stability' ( http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/stability/vanishing_stability.htm) would not be particularly high. Although if it is knocked flat by a gust, the cockpit entrance would be high of the water and wouldn't submerge until the angle of heel was gone well over 90 degrees. However, if a badly fitted window were to 'pop in' when on it's side then this could explain the sudden sinking.

It would be good to know how many crew were on board at the time of sinking and where they were when the gust hit. If they were on the cabin roof (adjusting sails maybe) when the gust hit and were holding onto the mast as the boat heeled over then this would certainly have helped it to capsize.

Mark
Mekicevica Mekicevica Thu 20 Jun 2013 23:00:37 Amazing!
With the risk of souding pedantic, she didn't capsize, she broached and, for some strange reason, water flooded into the cabin.
It is strange how that could happen! Mark's suggestion of crew holding on to the mast is a good one. Even then, the boat should have righted herself up when they would eventually let go.
I really think they did something stupid to that boat during the refit.
I find the cockpit lockers too big. In addition to having sealed the holes between the lockers and the cabin, the back part of my lockers is filled with "solid flotation" a technical-sounding expression for styropor and plastic bottles filled with foam, all wrapped in two sturdy bin-liners.
Even then, there is no such thing as a totally unsinkable boat...
Luis
Mekicevica Mekicevica Thu 20 Jun 2013 23:20:34 In addition to your boat search, in my honest opinion the Manta is a class up from a Seahawk or a Sailfish. The Seahawk is not good for anything more that sailing in calm waters with little wind. The Sailfish is ughly beyond description. It reminds me of a Ford Anglia with a hull instead of wheels. Apart from that it was designed by a mad Portuguese, just like me.
Honestly those are river sailing boats. My Manta 19 has done long passages in the Adriatic, regularly faces 5 Bf or even 6 Bf winds in Zeeland. One Manta 19, has even crossed from Holland to Britain and back.
In my opinion, the Manta 19 is reliable, strong, easy to sail, and a beautiful boat.
Luis
Mark Mark Fri 21 Jun 2013 10:04:35 I second that. Manta's are definitely good looking and extremely well built yachts, far better than any others I seen of a similar class.

All boats, if not handled correctly for the prevailing conditions, can be capsized and 'unsinkable' boats can be sunk :D
mhsorens mhsorens Sun 23 Dec 2018 19:12:26 In June 2017, a Manta 19 sailing for full sails broached on Lake Attersee in Austria, after an unsuccessful recovery from a sudden heavy wind gust. The crew of three was rescued, but "on being towed away, the theoretically unsinkable yacht tilted over and sank to everyone's surprise, settling on the lake bottom ten meters below."
Source: https://mobil.krone.at/574656
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept