Forum - Manta Trailers - Braked Trailer

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Braked Trailer 6Tue 22 Mar 2022 22:00:53
mantaray mantaray Thu 20 Jan 2022 19:27:48 My road trailer looks like most of the ones that I have seen with other Mantas , single axle and unbraked. Does anyone know if this set up is road legal today?

Replies

Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Fri 21 Jan 2022 08:06:32https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van-the-basics

A trailer with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 750kg or lower, is not required to have brakes, but if brakes are fitted they must be in full working order.
mantaray mantaray Sat 22 Jan 2022 20:28:22 So the specification shows 680kg displacement add the trailer weight and some gear , I guess the answer is no , although it would not be massively overweight
mhsorens mhsorens Mon 14 Feb 2022 15:52:18 Good question.

I'm in the process of finding a braked trailer that is registrable and legal to use with a Manta any where in Europe, no matter if I'm venturing within the EU, EFTA or the UK for DCA rallies smile.

The weight specification included with my own #205 is clearly wrong and I wouldn't use it as a basis for towing requirements.

680 kg net displacement doesn't sound too far off. However, there exists a Danish DH certificate of measurement (sail trimmed, boat stripped of anything not needed for competitive sailing) of a Manta19 #233 from 2000. The certificate states the measured rigged and sailable weight (total displacement) as 760 kg - of which 260 is the ballast keel weight. No meaningful towage of a Manta19 would get below this weight. [ https://websejler.dk/da/baad/12012 ]

Personally, I would add 200 kg for a fully geared boat to be on the safe side. As a good rule of thumb the rigging and gears on the boats, as well as gear stowed in the vehicle shouldn't surpass the vehicles towing capacity anyway, so I am calculating on keeping all gear on the trailer.

So I guess one should be on the lookout for a trailer specified for EU/EFTA/UK towage of a boat between 760-960 kg?

Maybe we should share braked trailer details across Europe in a dedicated thread under "Forums" in a list like this:

[brand] [model] [max boat length] [max boat weight] [Registrable in EU/EFTA/UK]

e.g.

[Brenderup] [201300B SRX] [20 feet / 6 meters] [980 kg] [registrable in EU]
mhsorens mhsorens Mon 14 Feb 2022 15:56:20 ... also, tips on [necessary modifications to the standard configuration] would be helpful.
Opsimath Opsimath Fri 18 Mar 2022 07:50:10 Hello. I am also looking to replace the trailer on my Manta19 and wonder if you found a source in the UK?
mantaray mantaray Tue 22 Mar 2022 22:00:53 Would it be cost-effective to modify the existing trailer in order to include a braking system
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept