Forum - Electrics - Newbe here and new electrical install

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Newbe here and new electrical install 5Tue 01 Dec 2020 09:03:45
Pony Pony Sun 27 Sep 2020 08:41:36 Hi. I just bought my first boat ever. (have been paddle boarding for the last 3 year) was planning to take lessons first but that’s not really been practical recently, and got her for a price I couldn’t refuse. Most of her electrical systems had been removed or is a sorry state.
Could I ask a few questions
1. Where should I place the battery
2. What external navigation lights should she have.
3. I Initially plan to keep her at Carsington waters, but they only allow electrical outboards. What size battery should I go for.
Any advice would be appreciated
Newbe here and new electrical install

Replies

Mark Mark Sun 27 Sep 2020 09:35:02 Hi Pony, welcome.
Sophie has a battery tray and clamp at the forward end of the starboard cockpit locker. I don't know if this is a standard feature for all manta's but it is a good place for a battery. I'll take a few photos soon - won't be able to do it towards the end of next week.

As far as battery size goes well, initially I would say get the largest one that will fit in your battery tray but then perhaps it would best to list your power needs first. With LED lighting you don't need much power and if you don't intend to run a mini fridge/coolbox then you might not need such a big battery. If this is the case then the main consideration would be the power consumption of you electric outboard and how much you intend to use it. It's very rare to absolutely no wind and even in very light winds you can pump the sails to get the boat moving - not practical on tidal waters or rivers but Carsington isn't that big. Also, if you have a crew on board and a paddle then this may be all you need for now and might save you quite a few pennies smile

The RYA has some good info regarding lighting in the COLREGS section here: https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/regulations/pleasure-craft/Pages/hub.aspx also some info here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/281965/msn1781.pdf note that these are international rules and are really applicable for sea sailing and may not be relevant for inland sailing, but it all depends where you may want to sail in the future.
Pony Pony Sun 27 Sep 2020 13:35:32 Thank you.
Only though about the electric outboard as that’s what Carsington water’s recommended
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 01 Oct 2020 06:51:12 A previous owner had installed a battery under the cabin step, starboard side on our Heartbeat.
We used a Torqueedo outboard for many years and they have their own lithium battery already attached so no extra battery needed. They are an eye watering price though these days but they don’t need servicing which offsets the cost a bit. Saying that , its battery pack stopped working after ten years ! We can still connect it to an external one though using an adaptor.
mhsorens mhsorens Sat 07 Nov 2020 09:45:22 Congrats on your first boat, Pony. Good question. I have 2 x 75Ah AGM batteries in boxes under the steps for the needs of a 55lbs trolling motor (1-3 knots for harbour maneuvres, fishing and prop support in countercurrent), vhf, plotter and lights. I may upgrade, but for now it seems to work OK even on a two day cruise. I would imagine that the decision to place heavy batteries close to the keel versus in the cockpit lockers would have to have some effect on stability (more rolling if mass is centered, I guess), but I haven't tested this.
Sasha Sasha Tue 01 Dec 2020 09:03:45 Congrats Pony. It seems that we have the same boat smile. Welcome onboard. I'm also thinking about how to install battery. I will probably go with some flex solar panels and battery. I need to charge my laptop so I need little bit more power.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept