Forum - Keel and Centre Plate - Manta19 keel

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Manta19 keel 8Thu 05 May 2011 16:10:18
Grahame Stronge Grahame Stronge Tue 29 Mar 2011 21:49:50 Hi I have just been asked to replace the lifting keel on a Manta19 can anyone help me to obtain the size and shape of this part

Replies

Mark Mark Wed 30 Mar 2011 19:26:52 Hi Grahame,

I have just added a FAQ page (under the home page link) which gives the centre plate size. Please note that the dimensions were the best I could do from a badly corroded centre plate and you may may to do a bit of fine tuning with an angle grinder
Mekicevica Mekicevica Fri 08 Apr 2011 22:26:40 I suspect the Mantas may not have all the same centre board. The design posted in this site woukdn't have fitted on my boat. Is it possible that Blakes made slight changes along the way?
Luis
Mark Mark Sun 10 Apr 2011 11:50:48 Have you got the dimensions of your centre plate? I would be interested to see the differences.
Mekicevica Mekicevica Mon 11 Apr 2011 14:52:10 My centre plate is roughly similar to that posted on this site, except that:
A thickness of 1cm would never fit in the slot in the balast keel. Especially at the rear, the slot is closer to 5mm.
It doesn't have the sticking-out bit to prevent the plate from dropping if the chain fails. Of course it might have been that some previous owner filed it away if he was having trouble getting the plate back in place.
Can't measure precisely as it is very corroded, back in place, and on the list of projects for next Winter.
Luis
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Fri 22 Apr 2011 22:00:29 Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me interrupting this thread but you know a lot more than us about keels and we have a keel problem at the moment that we would really appreciate some help on?

We launched Davin last Saturday for our hols on Windermere and as usual at the beginning of the season we have to jiggle the keel chain as it invariably sticks. This time the chain just snapped off and we were left holding the chain which also had a length of chord attached to it with a broken, rusty bit of metal on the end.

I have tried to undo the 8 screws holding the metal (inspection?) plate by the washboards but they just go round and round !

Any suggestions? do we need to go to Shepherds to get if fixed or can we force the inspection plate off and re-attach it ourselves?

Either way we have carried on sailing regardless and don't miss the keel at all !!

I got my goggles on and swam under and as far as I can make out the keel IS still there but jammed in !!

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks
Ian & Julie
Mekicevica Mekicevica Fri 22 Apr 2011 22:39:08 Hi, Julie! Hi, Ian!
Either you are very brave to sale in Windermere in April or you are getting an early Summer.

The problem you are having is exactly what I thought is a weak spot of the Manta.
On the plus side, you can perfectly sail with the stuck centre plate. I would only be worried about the possibility that it will drop by itself in the least opportune moment.
To solve the problem, you will have to lift out Davin, lower the centre plate and repair the connection with the chain.From your description, it seems there was a dodgy temporary repair done there.
If you want to remove that metal plate, you have to hold the bolts underneath. They are sort of hidden behind the wood shelves under the companionway. But I don't think you will be able to fix the problem from the top.
Luis
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sat 23 Apr 2011 12:49:40 Luis ! Many thanks for the quick reply - you've taken all the uncertainty away.

Time to get the chequebook out. Humph.

And yes you are right, the saving grace is we ARE having Mediterranean weather here !!
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 05 May 2011 16:10:18 Sorry to lower the tone of this thread by talking about money!
We need a new keel and wonder if anyone could give us a rough idea of the price to buy one?
many thanks
ian
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept