Forum - Keel and Centre Plate - Strange retro Drain Plug in Aft Cockpit Deck

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Strange retro Drain Plug in Aft Cockpit Deck 5Tue 11 Jun 2024 10:23:50
waterboatman waterboatman Wed 01 May 2024 17:54:59 Has anyone got a drain plug fitted in the centre aft of the cockpit deck? Not the open drain in the transom but one that has been fitted vertically in to the deck moulding for some reason by a previous owner.
I ask, as I am currently getting a small amount of water entering the port locker and have established it is coming form a small hole in the moulding under the deck right aft (only accessible by looking aft in the port locker).
The cockpit deck appears to be the top part of a sealed void which extends across the centre of the boat between the side lockers and it is in this void where the water is collecting. I am pretty confident it is coming through the poorly fitting drain plug in the aft well.
The plug is a standard screw plug similar to those found on the transoms of many dinghies but I cannot understand why it was fitted in the first place? I can only suck out some of the water and not completely empty it.
The forward void bulkhead can be seen behind the keel locker in the cabin and I intend to drill a hole in it to remove the remaining water from in there.
Has anyone had any similar experience or can shed any light if the void should be full of air or foam for buoyancy?

Replies

Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Wed 01 May 2024 20:41:15 I’ve no idea either maybe consulting with a marine expert or a boat manufacturer might provide more insights into the intended design and how to address the water intrusion issue effectively.
waterboatman waterboatman Thu 02 May 2024 20:09:21 Many thanks for your prompt response.
I am doubtful a "marine expert" or boat manufacturer could enlighten me more than I am now but thanks. I am sure they would be happy to charge to tell me what I would tell them!
These boats seem to have lost all trace of their design history which is a shame unless someone in Hoylake still remembers how they were put together?
Someone with a jammed keel recently reported on this site that they used an endoscope which could be useful for my issue but not sure if it is able to bend 90 degrees after entering a 50mm or 2" vertical hole to enter the void?
Thanks again.
mhsorens mhsorens Mon 06 May 2024 13:15:44 My understand is that closed foam bouyancy were added to individual hulls at extra cost and some may have opted out.
mhsorens mhsorens Mon 06 May 2024 13:16:00 Do you have images?
Mark Mark Tue 11 Jun 2024 10:23:50 Originally, Mantas had a Gas stove in the port under bunk storage area and the gas pipe was fed through the bulkhead at the back of the underbunk storage area, through the internal buoyancy tank and into the bottom of the port outside locker which is where there was a 'bucket' like storage container for the gas bottle. There was a little pipe (5mm diameter ish which was a gas vent) at the bottom of the bucket which fed out into the cockpit just above the floor. When sailing, on a starboard tack (boat heeled to port) you get some water in the cockpit and it can flow into the gas vent pipe, if you don't have the gas bucket anymore then the water ends up in the port locked and will flow along the channel for the gas pipe and into port under bunk storage area.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about but it is all that comes to mind.
Have a look here for another owners experience of the pesky gas vent pipe.
https://manta19.miwd.co.uk/forum/10/163
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept