Forum - Mast and Rigging - The Boom

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
The Boom 9Sat 20 Jun 2020 07:53:57
Red Herring Red Herring Thu 11 Jun 2020 17:33:27 Red Herring's boom seems to have nowhere to attach the tack of the mainsail, nothing in the area to which I could fit a shackle. I have made do with a temporary lashing at the gooseneck, but would appreciate advice on how it should be done.
Also, I can't see how to reef the main. I've had roller reefing mainsails before, but they have always had a small winding handle engaging in a socket at the end of the boom with a gear which rotated the boom around its axis. There is nothing like that on Red Herring, just two strange lumps on the end cap at both ends of the boom. Again, grateful for advice on how I can reef this mainsail.
Thanks
Charles

Replies

Mark Mark Fri 12 Jun 2020 20:28:35 I had a new mast and boom fitted to Sophie a few years ago (Z Spars) so this is from memory.

The original boom had couple of holes through the track at the goose neck end and I used a metal pin through the holes and through the tack eyelet.

To reef the main it was a case of removing the kicker and then operating a little lever on the goose neck end and hand rolling the boom to reef the main sail. Once the required amount of reef was in the lever was flicked back to lock the boom and stop it un-rolling. I used to roll in a strap so that there was something to attach the kicker on to.
Red Herring Red Herring Fri 12 Jun 2020 23:02:39 That's very helpful Mark: thanks. I should be able to work it out from there. I bought a new boom from Z spars years ago for a different boat. I remember the chap in charge as being rude and difficult, but producing excellent harware. Hope you had better service.
Charles
Red Herring Red Herring Sat 13 Jun 2020 23:05:17 I looked carefully today Mark and could find nowhere to attach the tack of the main: no holes for a pin or any such thing. I will have to persist with my lash-up until I have time to work out something better.
Mark Mark Sun 14 Jun 2020 05:40:07 Hmm.. I wonder if Sophie's previous owner added the holes and pin. I just look at assembly guide page and it mentions a shackle so I think Sophie's set up perhaps wasn't standard.
mhsorens mhsorens Thu 18 Jun 2020 15:26:02 The similar rolling boom of the Neptun boats by Miglitsch seems to use a boom claw as atrachment for the kicking strap when the main is reefed. I bought one, but haven't used it just yet. Hope to test it next week and post some photos. https://www.instagram.com/p/B3g1mxhh8wH/?igshid=188cio2s3r12f
Red Herring Red Herring Thu 18 Jun 2020 17:26:30 I used to have a suitable metal socket on the end of a canvas strap which I rolled into the sail while reefing, but that went with the earlier boat. It wouldn't be difficult to re-create it, but the need for serious reefing on the River Cam is unlikely.
I still haven't resolved the issue of how to secure the tack of the main sail to the boom under normal conditions.
mhsorens mhsorens Thu 18 Jun 2020 19:13:57 Does this help?
The Boom
Red Herring Red Herring Fri 19 Jun 2020 10:04:13 That's interesting. thanks. YOu have the same sort of boom that I do with no provision for a shackle through the tack of the main sail. Am I right in thinking that you have tied the tack down to a cleat of some sort lower on the port side of the mast?
mhsorens mhsorens Sat 20 Jun 2020 07:53:57 Early model 1973. Original parts. It is tied directly to the boom. There's a small but sturdy steel strap, a closed 2-hole one, shaped like a "9" and seemingly riveted to the top side of the boom root. I raised my mast yesterday, but didn't get to mounting the boom. Will provide a photo next week.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept