Forum - Mast and Rigging - mast , raising

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
mast , raising 4Fri 19 Jun 2020 19:02:57
mantaray mantaray Wed 17 Jun 2020 20:35:19 I find it very difficult to locate the bolt in the mast step bracket that allows the mast to pivot when raising , it is hard to get the initial angle right and I have to recourse to pushing a smaller diameter screw driver shaft in to the hole in order to act as a pivot. Is this normal? or what is wrong with my boat?

Replies

Mark Mark Thu 18 Jun 2020 15:56:53 It can be a little fiddly getting the bolt through but it shouldn't be too difficult with a little wiggle of the mast while the crew/first mate pushes the bolt through - so I'm wondering whether the hole in your mast foot isn't quite in the right place.

When I got Sophie, the previous owner had done a repair to bolt hole as the foot had cracked so I don't know what the original foot was like but it was a bit like no 1 in picture the hole was a good couple of cm back from the back edge of the mast. When I got a new mast a few years ago the hole on the new foot had a bit too much metal behind it (i.e. the hole was a little bit too far forward) which meant that the hole wouldn't line up when the mast was lowered. However, a few minutes filing the back end of the of the foot sorted it out no problem.(no 2 in picture)

The only other thought is if your foot has been repaired and the hole is too far forward (no3 in picture) as this make it very difficult (or impossible) to get the bolt fitted with the mast lowered.
mast , raising
mantaray mantaray Thu 18 Jun 2020 21:56:36 Thank you Mark ,my foot bracket looks original , I got the mast up by locating in a one of the bracket holes nearest the back , raised the mast with slack rigging and then removed the pivot and carefully pushed the foot bracket forward and into position. This is my second Manta and the other was difficult to hoist , its just that you have to raise up the back of the mast a long way to fit the pivot, so I will just use my method in the future making sure its not a windy day. By the way can you still get a replacement mast and if so from where.
Mark Mark Fri 19 Jun 2020 10:24:36 It might be possible to get a mast made with the same shaped extrusion (is that the right word?).

My original mast had some cracks near the foot and I got Morton Boats to sort me out a new one (and boom) which came from ZSpars. It works fine but it is a different profile/extrusion.
mantaray mantaray Fri 19 Jun 2020 19:02:57 Mark my mast saga started when the roller furling gave way and the mast fell damaging the alloy mast base but leaving the stub and bracket intact. I really would like to replace the damaged mast but being located on a lake in North Staffordshire my prospects of professional assistance are limited . So for the short term at least I have tapped two new fixings in the stub and fitted a clamping sleeve over the damaged area with the two new bolts securing all. So far it feels pretty solid but if I ever get the chance to replace I will
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept