Forum - Mast and Rigging - Mast foot

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Mast foot 32Fri 12 May 2023 22:28:19
Buccaneer Buccaneer Tue 08 Sep 2020 16:34:22 Hi fellow sailors
Does anyone per chance have a manta 19 mast foot available? Mine has broen off at the pivoting hole so Im stimeyed!!! Help.
Phil.

Replies

Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Tue 08 Sep 2020 19:07:12 which bit exactly is broken ?
Buccaneer Buccaneer Wed 09 Sep 2020 10:50:26 Hi
Its the hole at the back of the mast foot that the mast rotates about when raising it.
Phil
Buccaneer Buccaneer Wed 09 Sep 2020 11:00:37 Diagram of nroken mast foot.
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Wed 09 Sep 2020 12:46:46 It is exactly in the same spot as our previous Manta. We never managed to source a replacement , a fabricator once looked at it and called it monkey metal. Only one side was damaged though , the other side was ok and we managed for a long time to just carry on as normal with our raising and lowering of the mast. Funnily enough we sold her to a steel fabricator who went on to make a replacement mast foot. I don’t imaging he’d have made it out of steel as maybe there would be a galvanic reaction? I’ll email him and try and found out what he did.
Buccaneer Buccaneer Wed 09 Sep 2020 16:17:27 Thats kind of you. Many thanks.
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 10 Sep 2020 20:03:50 Here’s what he said ..
Remove the old broken foot this is held into the mast by three pop rivets - these can be drilled out and then the foot prised out of the bottom of the mast.
Skim the bottom of the foot flat - I did this in a four jaw chuck in a lathe - leave as much of the old foot as you can.
Make a suitable block out of stainless steel - drilling the holes for the mast bolt to go through - I think it is M8 - I put one either end - I can't remember why! plus drill and tap it to take screws to attach the old foot to it.
Screw it all together then push it back into the bottom of the mast and pop rivet it in place.
I hope the above makes sense - obviously I had the benefit of having a well equipped workshop with all the necessary tools.
I hope this and the pictures are of help.
I have also attached a pic of the keel - this was really badly corroded - I should have replaced it really but instead I rebushed the pivot hole - I'm sure it will be good for another twenty years - particularly if Davin stays in the barn!
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 10 Sep 2020 20:04:24 2nd
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 10 Sep 2020 20:04:47 3rd
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 10 Sep 2020 20:05:13 4th
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 10 Sep 2020 20:05:52 5th
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 10 Sep 2020 20:06:32 6th
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 10 Sep 2020 20:07:12 Final
Mast foot
Buccaneer Buccaneer Fri 11 Sep 2020 09:50:37 Many thanks for that. I have a local marine engineer I will show your reply to and I feel sure he will be able to do the same or something similar. Very much appreciated. Thanks again. And well done re the keel. Happy sailing. Phil.😁⛵
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sat 12 Sep 2020 08:08:05 Great stuff. Let us know how you get on and good luck !
Mast foot
Mark Mark Sat 12 Sep 2020 08:53:53 That is some great info for mast foot repairs. I might make/add it into a separate site webpage.
The only comment I have is that if using 2 bolts when stepping the mast you won't be able to make any adjustments to the mast rake. According to the Blake's assembly guide, the mast should be vertical in relation to the waterline - so if your 2 bolt holes aren't perfectly aligned then using 2 bolts would force the mast out of alignment.
But it is no problem however many holes you have in the mast foot if you only use one bolt in the Aft hole.
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sat 12 Sep 2020 13:23:54 Yes Mike it’s worth a site to itself isn’t it? I’ll ask him how he got the keel out , as that’s a reoccurring problem for us 'oldie' manta owners too.
Buccaneer Buccaneer Wed 16 Sep 2020 11:04:15 Hi. Got mast foot back. Very similar repair, except it has been welded. See pics.
Mast foot
Buccaneer Buccaneer Wed 16 Sep 2020 11:12:33 Pic 1
Mast foot
Buccaneer Buccaneer Wed 16 Sep 2020 11:14:31 Pic 3
Mast foot
Buccaneer Buccaneer Wed 16 Sep 2020 11:16:31 Thanks for all your help and advice. Happy Manta - ing!!!
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 17 Sep 2020 20:13:02 Great news ! Back on the water yippee ⛵️. Excellent result. Erm...I don’t want to lower the tone of the conversation but was it an expensive thing to make?
Buccaneer Buccaneer Fri 18 Sep 2020 14:09:43 No. Not expensive in my opinion. £40. I reckon that's a bargain!!!
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 20 Sep 2020 20:05:59 Wow. Usually anything with the word 'Marine' in front of it carries a right premium !! 💰 💰 Well done 👍🏻 ✅
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 20 Sep 2020 20:27:15 I hasten to add, I did none of this ! All the glory goes to Stuart , proud owner of "Davin".

Park the trailer (with the boat on it!) on the lawn - it needs to be on the lawn!
Remove the mud guards from the trailer.
With the use of - ideally four, but you could manage with two jacks, jack up the boat.
I supported two scaffold boards under the front of the boat on axle stands and another large piece of wood also supported by axle stands under the rear of the boat, I did this in slow steps raising support along the way just in case something slips. You need to jack the boat high enough to enable the trailer to be pulled out -that is why I removed the mud guards - I also let the air out of the tyres!
Once the trailer is out for safety's sake add additional props either side of the boat to be sure that it is stable - VERY IMPORTANT!!
Now (so long as it is safe!) lower the swing keel - you need to get it low enough so that you can get to the chain/rope attachment, this is why I did it on the lawn - I had to dig out part of the lawn to get the keel to drop low enough.
There was a lot of rust on my keel so I had to get underneath with various scrapers/chisels so that it would actually drop down.
Remove the allen screw in the front that it pivots on - I think this is M8 its best to poke as much of the paint/mud etc out of the screw head so that you can get a good purchase.
Once the screw is out and all the rust is clear , the keel should drop down, I cut the old rope attachment off - I thought it would be best to renew it.
Once the keel was out , I had it shot blasted.
The pivot hole was very corroded so I drilled it out and fitted in a brass bush.
I repainted the now shot blasted keel with good quality , two pack primer and two pack acrylic top coat (HMG).
Refiitting is pretty straightforward with everything clean it should go back together easily - just to be doubly sure I used two pieces of cord to attach the rear of the keel to the chain, put plenty of grease on the sides of the keel and on the pivot screw.
Remove the props and carefully position the trailer back under the boat and then jack up the trailer to support the boat and carefully remove the scaffold boards/ axle stands etc.

Hopefully the above is clear if you do attempt this please be careful.
Good luck
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 20 Sep 2020 20:27:42 2
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 20 Sep 2020 20:28:11 3
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 20 Sep 2020 20:28:40 4
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 20 Sep 2020 20:29:04 5
Mast foot
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Sun 20 Sep 2020 20:29:46 6
Mast foot
Red Herring Red Herring Thu 24 Sep 2020 17:33:38 That's a really helpful step-by-step guide Ian. Many thanks. You have obviously got not only a very shiny hull, but an unusually tolerant other half who has acquiesed in your digging a trough in the lawn!
I am in the middle of a less ambitious exercise with a similar aim. I have got the boat out of the water and onto its trailer - first time ever with this boat and its rather peculiar trailer - and have managed to raise the boat a few inches off the trailer by using a jack and some tall, solid chocks which came with the boat and will support it under the stern. All that I want to do at this stage is to look at the top of the keel, which you can't do when it is on the water, and see what is preventing it swinging down. If I can get it to drop just the few inches which separate it from the trailer rollers and to come up again with the chain, then I will know that there is a possibility of making it work properly and I will try her again on the water and possibly have her lifted out again professionally to take the keel plate right out.
I'll let you know how I get on.
StuartH StuartH Fri 25 Sep 2020 14:12:43 Hi Mark
Re the two holes I put in the foot, I never used both of them I just put one in the front because I once saw a picture of the mast lowered frontwards and thought maybe that would be a good idea! I never tried it though and thinking about it it would probably be a disaster!
Littleconor Littleconor Fri 12 May 2023 22:28:19 Help
Mast foot
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept