Forum - Mast and Rigging - Kicking strap

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Kicking strap 9Thu 13 Jan 2022 00:30:08
Kingfisher Kingfisher Sat 17 Apr 2021 20:30:39 We're getting ready to launch our new-to-us Manta and can't find anything resembling a kicking strap. Judging by the assembly guide we have the original boom with a slot for the kicking strap. Does anyone have details/pictures of their kicking strap so we can try to buy a new one? Or any idea of where we might find one that works?

I've attached a photo of the boom - I'm assuming this is the slot for the kicking strap but please tell me if I'm wrong!
Kicking strap

Replies

Mark Mark Sat 17 Apr 2021 20:43:23 Yes it is for the kicking strap. I changed my mast a few years ago so my set up is a bit different but I'll have a look at the old fittings tomorrow - as I might still have the kicker - if so you can have it.
Mark Mark Sun 18 Apr 2021 11:19:35 Here's my kicker. Rope end attaches to the boom. The bottom shackle attaches to mast foot. Top pulley has built in cleat.
Kicking strap
Mark Mark Sun 18 Apr 2021 11:20:28 And here is the 'key' for attaching the kicker to the original boom.
Kicking strap
Mark Mark Sun 18 Apr 2021 11:29:17 It is probably worth mentioning that because the manta 19 is masthead rigged you don't really need much purchase on the kicker as you won't increase the bend in the mast when you apply a lot of kicker tension (unlike fractional rigs on dinghies and the manta 16 where increased kicker tension would increase mast bend and would therefore flatten the mainsail). On the manta 19 the kicker is really there to prevent the boom from rising upwards when sailing on a reach/run
Kingfisher Kingfisher Sun 18 Apr 2021 11:53:34 That's great info, thanks! Could you just let me know how long the wire cable is so we can get something vaguely the right length? Many thanks.
Littleconor Littleconor Thu 13 Jan 2022 00:27:16 Hi Kingfisher, I presume you got sorted with your kicker. See images for the setup I use. Similar key to Mark above
Kicking strap
Littleconor Littleconor Thu 13 Jan 2022 00:28:12 Foot of mast
Kicking strap
Littleconor Littleconor Thu 13 Jan 2022 00:29:07 Tie it off
Kicking strap
Littleconor Littleconor Thu 13 Jan 2022 00:30:08 .
Kicking strap
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept