Forum - Mast and Rigging - Spreader attachment

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Spreader attachment 5Thu 04 May 2023 15:17:07
Littleconor Littleconor Sun 21 Nov 2021 23:57:18 Hello, after taking down the mast I noticed a small crack in the (not sure of the name for this part) piece in the picture. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice would be welcome 😊
Thanks in advance.
Conor
Spreader attachment

Replies

Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Mon 22 Nov 2021 08:59:33 So sorry.
We wouldn’t set sail until it the spreader had been replaced. We’d pootle about on engine engine only until it was fixed.
Good luck …
Drucouloir Drucouloir Mon 29 Nov 2021 09:41:20 Good catch, I agree with Ian & Julie don't put it under any more stress.
However, rather than replace it, I'm sure that a decent welder would be able to sort it with a dob of weld.
Good luck
Littleconor Littleconor Sun 05 Dec 2021 21:04:06 Thanks for the feedback. I have all winter to get it sorted. The days will be getting longer shortly so I better hurry up. 😄
Boyanoy Boyanoy Wed 03 May 2023 20:40:53 hi, old thread but still interesting with discussions. I discovered a crack in the same place on my spreader. my spreaders appear to be of an even thinner material. I think that welding is not a long-term solution in such a thin plate, my idea is to lay a strip of approx. 2mm stainless steel along the entire spreader bracket, drill holes through the existing ones that are riveted in the mast, then I rivet the strip along the spreader bracket, difficult to explain, I can take a picture when I'm done, but if anyone understands and thinks this is a stupid idea, please stop me. how did you solve your crack? /Stefan
Littleconor Littleconor Thu 04 May 2023 15:17:07 Hi Stefan,
I got the crack welded and it survived without any issues. The bracket had to be removed for welding and reattached slightly higher with new drilled holes and rivets.
It would be interesting to see a picture of your repair. It makes sense for you to reinforce your bracket if it can't be welded
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept