Forum - Equipment and Fittings - centreplate operation

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
centreplate operation 2Thu 24 Apr 2014 14:02:07
Ronella Ronella Wed 23 Apr 2014 20:34:33 Does anyone know how long the centreplate chain is, please? Also the strop between the chain and the plate? When I raise the plate and then lower it slightly it comes to rest on some kind of stop inside the ballast keel, but I don't know if this means the plate is fully up, or at the right level for sailing. I know the brochure says the plate should be lowered until just three or four links are showing above the fitting on the bridge-deck, but this leaves a gap between the plate and the ballast keel, with the strop and its splice fitting exposed. Until now I have gone by the coloured twine left helpfully in place on one of the links by her last owner, but this has now disappeared. Unfortunately, she has just been launched after being lifted out for antifouling or I would check physically, but she won't be coming out again for another year.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Replies

Mekicevica Mekicevica Wed 23 Apr 2014 20:58:14 I think that is a very difficult question to answer. Most, if not all Mantas have by now had some work done on their centre plates, so there is no telling what yours is like. Ideally when lowering the centre-plate it should come to some sort of stop at the lowest position.
On the other hand, having a gap between the ballast keel and the centre plate is not a problem. The centre plates of some boats, like the newest Beneteau First 20 for example, are meant to be like that.
I don't know where you sail, but unless it is a murky, cold estuary, it is not too difficult to take some diving goggles and take a look, to put your mind at ease.
Hope this helps.
Luis
Ronella Ronella Thu 24 Apr 2014 14:02:07 Many thanks, Luis, it's very helpful to know there's just one stop in the case but are you sure it's the lower one? It leaves a lot of chain showing at the bridge deck. (I know you can sail with the plate lowered or raised to any level, depending on conditions.) My ignorance on the matter is because I've always kept Ronella permanently on a marina berth with the plate more or less permanently lowered, rather than using her as a trailer-sailer. I had a new galvanised plate made some years ago using the pattern and dimensions I found on this site, because the old plate was so rusted I didn't want to rely on its measurements, although I did use it as a rough template. It's been fine ever since. The only difference is that the slot would only accept 6mm without jamming, and had to be thinned to allow a very narrow shackle to be attached at the lifting end, secured by a very small split pin, in order to pass through the slot.
Your comment about designed gaps between plate and hull confirm what I vaguely suspected. Many thanks.
I sail from Largs marina on the Clyde, which is pretty clear these days, so thanks for the suggestion of diving goggles - I was thinking oldfashioned glass-bottomed box!
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept