Forum - Equipment and Fittings - Porta potti

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Porta potti 11Thu 16 Jul 2020 21:23:11
Kingfisher Kingfisher Sat 22 Feb 2020 12:52:54 Hi all,

Just trying to fit out our boat for short trips with small children. Has anyone put in a porta potti? On paper the smallest size (the porta potti 335) might just squeak into the space between the V berths but it looks a bit tight! Hard to measure exactly because the space curves at the front. Anyone able to tell me definitively if it fits or not?

Replies

mhsorens mhsorens Mon 24 Feb 2020 19:17:28 On this sales listing photo the owner seems to have managed fitting a Porta Potti 345 into the nook. The 345 is roughly 3 cm bigger than the 335 in every dimension. https://web.archive.org/web/20200224191113if_/https://www.segel-markt.com/bigpic/Yacht--Manta%2019/3013.6.jpg
Kingfisher Kingfisher Mon 02 Mar 2020 14:10:41 Thanks - I did see that but strangely the space between the berths is a different shape on ours - it is curved at the forward end which makes it difficult to measure exactly, so my concern is it might be smaller than the space shown in that photo. I was wondering if this was a difference in the UK boats maybe.
Kingfisher Kingfisher Mon 16 Mar 2020 13:00:05 The answer, for anyone who might be wondering, is that the porta potti 335 (the smallest chemical toilet we could find) fits perfectly width-wise and height-wise into the space but is about an inch and a half too deep (fore/aft measurement). Still, that should be fixable, we're intending to move the vertical panel on the aft end of the forward berth back into the cabin slightly so it'll fit and make the panel which covers the porta potti (the one which provides the infill for the v-berth slightly larger so there isn't a gap. It'll be a bit bodged but should work ok.
Red Herring Red Herring Tue 09 Jun 2020 09:17:01 I measured the top of the space - mistake! - without noticing that it tapers and curves lower down, clearly intended to house a bucket-shaped loo. I then bought a Kampa Portaflush 10l loo and found that it wouldn't fit. However, a previous owner must have had a similar problem as they have created a slightly larger space, just aft of the original, by installing battens down each side to take a retaining panel and also making a neat lid to cover it. That will take the Kampa Portaflush nicely with a bit of foam padding on each side to stop it sliding about. I shall probably use the original loo space as a wine and beer store!
Red Herring Red Herring Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:56:06 This is a sequence showing how the space has been used for a porta potti on Red Herring
Porta potti
Red Herring Red Herring Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:56:51 First panel
Porta potti
Red Herring Red Herring Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:57:57 Original space covered over
Porta potti
Red Herring Red Herring Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:58:35 Portaflush installed
Porta potti
Red Herring Red Herring Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:59:23 Front panel and padding installed
Porta potti
Red Herring Red Herring Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:59:53 And all covered over
Porta potti
Kingfisher Kingfisher Thu 16 Jul 2020 21:23:11 Brilliant, thanks - just seen this. We haven't done anything about ours yet due to lockdown, but now we're heading into school holidays with very few summer plans, we're going to take a proper look and work out what we can do! Very ingenious solution of yours, and I like the idea of a wine/beer store!
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept