Forum - Equipment and Fittings - Most suitable outboard for Manta 19

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Most suitable outboard for Manta 19 2Fri 17 Sep 2021 08:48:04
Benzibar Benzibar Thu 16 Sep 2021 16:21:26 Hi everyone. Apologies if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything though.

I'm on the verge of hitting the "buy" button on a Manta 19 for sale, but she doesn't come with an outboard, so I'm trying to figure out what size outboard I would need and what my outlay would be.

According to the "generally accepted rule", you should have 1hp per 500lbs of displacement or thereabouts. Thus - as the boat displaces 1500lbs - 3 to 3.5hp should be ok.

However I'd likely be sailing her in the solent and I don't want to get caught out underpowered if I end up in a situation where I'm punching the tide. So should I edge on the size of caution and go for 4hp or even 5hp??

What size does everyone else use?

Replies

Mark Mark Fri 17 Sep 2021 08:21:20 According to the original Manta 19 brochure (see 3rd page here https://manta19.miwd.co.uk/page/manta-19-brochure) 5hp is the recommended size. I also read somewhere that a 'long shaft' is best.
I used an electric outboard as I only sailed on inland lakes so I can't really add anything from experience.
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Fri 17 Sep 2021 08:48:04 We’re on Coniston at the moment and at times we’ve been very , VERY glad to have had a Marriner 4HP, we’ve done the East Coast and also West Coast Scotland and would have been underpowered with anything less.
You’ll definitely need a long shaft though.
Most suitable outboard for Manta 19
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept