Forum - Sails and Sailing - How much reefing

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
How much reefing 5Tue 04 Oct 2016 09:37:00
marcel marcel Sun 04 May 2014 11:12:50 Manta allows only one reef in the main sail.
Anyone any idea if that's adequate with 5-6 bft?

Replies

Mekicevica Mekicevica Sun 04 May 2014 22:37:35 Hi, Marcel.
I think there are different reefing set-ups on the Manta's. Just to give an example, when I got mine she had a roller-reefing boom, but sails for two reefs.
Now I have two reefs. I use the first very often (as last time yesterday). I have tried the second reef only once, and found it made the mainsail too powerless: lee-helm and hard to bring the bow through the wind to tack.
Still, I like to know it is there when the wind really picks up.
To answer your question, I find 5 Bf can easily be managed with the first reef. 6 Bf gets hard work, but the 2nd reef does not seem to help all that much. Stronger than that, I just watch from the bar.
All of this applies to sheltered waters. Wind is no trouble, just shorten the sails. But in open water when the waves start to build-up, it is no place to be in a wee boat weighing less than 700 kg.
marcel marcel Tue 06 May 2014 20:46:36 Hi,

Thanks, that's is interesting.

Do you have an idea how much of the mainsail (percentage) is taken away by the 1st and 2nd reef respectively on your boat?
Let's presume the jib is more or less of equal size on each boat.
Kind regards
Mekicevica Mekicevica Wed 07 May 2014 15:50:09 I have never measured (or calculated) the reduction in sail at each reef, but a sailmaker once told me that rule of thumb is 1st reef takes out 1/3 and 2nd reef 1/2.
marcel marcel Sat 10 May 2014 09:58:55 OK tnx
hcasares hcasares Tue 04 Oct 2016 09:37:00 Hello! I have to order a new mainsail and I would prefer two reef, but according to what @Mekicevica says, his second reef seems to deep. Could you tell us what is the distance between that second reef and the boom?
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept