Forum - Sails and Sailing - Gennaker sailing

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Gennaker sailing 5Sat 10 Jul 2021 23:19:06
Sasha Sasha Sat 19 Jun 2021 20:19:48 Is there someone who sails with gennaker? I had very interesting experience using gennaker. First it was easy to hoist it (i had some 4 attempts the other day so I learned the lesson hard way) and sailing downwind 6.2 knots (Navionics info). It was madness, I felt like I was flying I didn't want to stop, but obvious I had to turn around, and put the gennaker down, so it was very interesting situation. I was alone on the boat so it was difficult to put the sail down, and it was few heeling pretty hard on the both sides. Gennaker was fulfilled with wind and 2s later it was empty, to it was pretty hard manouver but I somehow handle it. Wind was around 15knots, so pretty strong for small boat like Manta.

Does someone have similar experience using gennaker, and what speed did you reached?

Replies

Drucouloir Drucouloir Thu 24 Jun 2021 09:51:54 Hey Sasha,
Sounds very interesting,
I've no experience to share but great to hear how you get on with it.
T
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 24 Jun 2021 18:51:43 Don’t know if this would work with your gennaker but we were sailing beautifully with a force 4 wind directly behind us, foresail only, when suddenly an enormous hooley blew up behind, rigging shrieking , wife screaming 'do something', dog howling. We just couldn’t roll the sail away. Too full of wind, it was causing us to move so fast we couldn’t bring her round to point to wind, she simply belted along. What to do? My wife just made an adjustment to take the boat from one tack to the other whilst still going downwind and at the 'crossing of the tack' point, calmly rolled the sail away. It was just dead wing at that point.
Who knew? salty sea dogs certainly, but maybe not everyone?
Gennaker sailing
Red Herring Red Herring Wed 30 Jun 2021 09:41:11 I inherited a cruising chute with Red Herring, but had never tried to fly it: I normally sail single-handed and on the River Cam where, if you blink, you hit the bank, so there are no hands to spare for strange sails. However, the other day I had a very capable sailor with me as crew for a club race and he enthusiastically dragged out the cruising chute, worked out how to hoist and snuff it and set it all up. We tried it on the return trip and it set beautifully at the first attempt, even on a close reach. Definitely to be explored again when/if I trail the boat to open waters.
Gennaker sailing
Sasha Sasha Mon 05 Jul 2021 09:59:07 Very nice to see that kite working smile
Drucouloir Drucouloir Sat 10 Jul 2021 23:19:06 I agree with Sasha, what a fantastic picture
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept